Loon Program Initiatives Coordinator
Phone: (207) 839-7600 ex. 112 /Fax: (207) 839-7655
Kate Taylor is the field coordinator for the loon program. She oversaw the scientific program for the Loon Preservation Committee for 12 years and continues to act as a scientific advisor for that organization. She is a contributor to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Status and Assessment Plan for the Common Loon in North America and co-authored the Common Loon Species Profile and Loon Recovery Plan for the New Hampshire Fish and Game. She is the co-author of a series of books by Willow Creek Press that are about the Common Loon and the Northwoods.
- Environmental conservation
- Conservation of the Common Loon
- Grear, J.S., M. Meyer, J. H. Cooley, A. Kuhn, W. Piper, M.G. Mitro, H.S. Vogel, K.M. Taylor, K.P. Kenow and D.E. Nacci. Population Growth and Demography of a Long-lived Piscivorous Bird in Lakes of the Northern United States. Submitted to the Journal of Wildlife Management.
- DeSorbo, C.R., J. Fair, K.M. Taylor, W. Hanson, D.C. Evers, and H.S. Vogel. 2008. Construction and deployment guidelines for artificial floating islands for nesting common loons. Northeastern Naturalist. In Press.
- Evers, D.C., Lucas J. Savoy, Christopher R. DeSorbo, David E. Yates,William Hanson, Kate M. Taylor, Lori S. Siegel, John H. Cooley, Michael S. Bank, Andrew Major, Kenneth Munney, Barry F. Mower, Harry S. Vogel, Nina Schoch, Mark Pokras, Morgan W. Goodale and Jeff Fair (2008) Adverse effects from environmental mercury loads on breeding common loons. Ecotoxicology 17(2):69-81 pdf
- DeSorbo, C.R., K.M. Taylor, J. Fair, D. Kramar, J.L. Atwood, D.C. Evers, W. Hanson, and H.S. Vogel. 2007. Characterizing reproductive advantages for common loons (Gavia immer) nesting on artificial floating islands. J. Wildlife Manage. 71:1206-1213.
- Evers, D. C., K. M. Taylor, A. Major, R. J. Taylor, R. H. Poppenga, and A. M. Scheuhammer. 2003. Common Loon eggs as indicators of methylmercury availability in North America. Ecotoxicology 12:69-81.
Selected Technical Publications based on Loon Preservation Committee Data
Papers in Peer-reviewed Journals and Published Proceedings
- Brennan, M.W., R.G. Congalton, P.J. Pekins and K.M. Taylor. 1998. Use of Remote Sensing and GIS tools for Common Loon (Gavia immer) management in New Hampshire. In Proceedings of the 64th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Tampa, FL, pp. 470-478 (CD-ROM).
- Miconi, R., M. Pokras and K.M. Taylor. 2000. Mortality in breeding loons: how big a factor is trauma? In J.W. McIntyre, D.C. Evers (eds), Loons: old history and new findings. Proceedings of a symposium from the 1997 meeting of the American Ornithological Union. North American Loon Fund, Holderness, NH, pp. 19-24.
- Sidor, I.F., M.A. Pokras, A.R. Major, K.M. Taylor and R.M. Miconi. 2003. Mortality of
- the Common Loon in New England, 1987-2000. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 39(2): 306-315.
- Taylor, K.M. and H.S. Vogel. 2000. Status and trends in Common Loon populations in New Hampshire, 1977-1997. In J.W. McIntyre, D.C. Evers (eds), Loons: old history and new findings. Proceedings of a symposium from the 1997 meeting of the American Ornithological Union. North American Loon Fund, Holderness, NH, pp. 110-113.
- Taylor, K.M. and H.S. Vogel. 2003. Unprecedented loss of Common Loon pairs on Lake Umbagog. New Hampshire Bird Records 22(2): 42-44.
- J. Cooley, H.S. Vogel and K.M. Taylor. New Hampshire Common Loon Recovery Plan. Submitted to NH Fish & Game, Concord, NH. In Prep.
- Taylor K.M, and H.S. Vogel. New Hampshire Common Loon Species Profile. 2006. Submitted to NH Fish & Game, Concord, NH.
- Taylor K.M., H.S. Vogel and D.C. Evers. 2005. Field Assessment of Habitat Quality in Comparison to Reproductive Success of Common Loons in Central New Hampshire. Submitted to the NH State Conservation Committee, Brentwood, NH.
- Taylor, K.M, D.C. Evers and T. Daigle. 2004. Common Loon Population Estimates and Reproductive Success in the Northeast: A Report in Response to the Bouchard Barge No. 120 (Buzzards Bay Oil Spill). Submitted to US Fish and Wildlife Service, Concord, NH.
- Taylor, K.M. 2004. Northeast Loon Study Working Group (NELSWG), Protocol for Surveying and Managing Common Loons. Submitted to FPL Maine Hydro and the Errol Dam Stakeholders.
- Taylor, K.M. and H.S. Vogel. 1998. Mercury Exposure as measured through abandoned Common Loon Eggs in New Hampshire. Submitted to US Fish and Wildlife Service, Concord, NH.