Wildlife Research Biologist and Waterfowl Program Director
Phone: (207) 839-7600 ex. 104 /Fax: (207) 839-7655
Lucas is a graduate of Unity College (1999), where he earned a bachelors degree in Environmental Sciences with an emphasis in Wildlife Biology and Management.
As a Wildlife Research Biologist with Biodiversity Research Institute (BRI) he is actively involved with various field studies focusing on wildlife conservation and management and the health assessment of aquatic ecosystems through contaminant screening. He is currently conducting live-capture, banding, and sampling studies on numerous bird species including waterfowl, loons, and grebes. Lucas is also the director of the Waterfowl Program.
Determining contaminant exposure, reproductive studies, breeding and wintering ecology of wild populations of waterfowl and loon species.
Current Species Studied
- Mallard Duck
- Common Merganser, Hooded Merganser
- Common Goldeneye
- Wood Duck
- Harlequin Duck
- Surf Scoter, White-winged Scoter, Black Scoter
- Long-tailed Duck
- Common Eider
- Common Loon
- Meattey, D. and L. Savoy. 2010. Assessing mercury accumulation in wintering sea ducks and atlantic brant at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, 2009. Report BRI 2010-08. BioDiversity Research Institute, Gorham, ME. 17 pages. pdf
- Evers, D. C., L. Savoy, C. DeSorbo, D. Yates, W. Hanson, K.M. Taylor, L. Siegel, J.H. Cooley, M.S. Bank, A. Major, K. Munney, B.F. Mower, H.S. Vogel, N. Schoch, M. Pokras, M.W. Goodale, and J. Fair. 2008. Adverse effects from environmental methylmercury loads on breeding common loons. Ecotoxicology 16: In Press. DOI: 10.1007/s10646-007-0168.
- Savoy, L. 2007. Mercury in blood of molting and wintering Harlequin Ducks from Alaska. Report BRI, Biodiversity Research Institute, Gorham, Maine. 8pp.
- Savoy, L. 2005. Establishing waterfowl observation stations and conducting brood surveys on Lake Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge. Report BRI 2005-12, Biodiversity Research Institute, Gorham, Maine. 32pp.
- Savoy, L. 2004. Assessment of lake habitat and assessment strategies of breeding Common Loons in the Idaho panhandle. Report BRI 2004-14, Biodiversity Research Institute, Gorham, Maine. 31pp.
- Savoy, L. 2004. Massachusetts 2003 Common Loon population survey and management report: A summary of the reproductive success and potential impacts of methylmercury on the Common Loon in Massachusetts, 1975-2003. Report BRI 2004-01 BioDiversity Research Institute, Gorham, ME. 34pp.
- Savoy, L. 2004. Summary of capture & banding efforts and methylmercury exposure to Montana's breeding Common Loon population. Report BRI 2004-08 BioDiversity Research Institute, Gorham, ME. 20pp.
- Evers, D.C., O. Lane, L. Savoy, and D. Yates. 2003. Summary of wildlife mercury exposure for the Nyanza Superfund Project. BRI report 2003-04. Submitted to Avatar Environmental, West Chester, PA.