Raptor Research Projects
A Selection of BRI's Raptor Research Projects
Below is a selection of some representative raptor contaminants research projects:
- Evaluating spatial and temporal patterns of mercury exposure in Maine’s Bald Eagle population.
- Evaluating mercury exposure in New York State Bald Eagles.
- Developing a long-term bioindicator-focused contaminant monitoring plan for Casco Bay.
- Evaluating changes in mercury exposure in adult Bald Eagles in Southeast Alaska over a 20-year period.
- Preliminary assessment of mercury exposure in nestling Bald Eagles in Southeast Alaska.
- Assessing exposure of Maine’s coastal and inland Bald Eagles to organic and emerging compounds.
- Penobscot River mercury study: mercury assessment in Bald Eagles and Ospreys along the Penobscot River and comparison regions in Maine.
- Contaminant screening of osprey eggs in Casco Bay.
- Evaluating mercury exposure in migrant nocturnal and diurnal raptors.
- Establishing baselines of mercury exposure in resident non-piscivorous raptors in the Northeastern U.S.
Movement Studies: Tracking
Below is a selection of some representative raptor tracking projects:
- Characterizing the movement and dispersal patterns of Maine subadult Bald Eagles using satellite telemetry and color banding.
- Describing movements of migrant Peregrine Falcons on the Atlantic seaboard: insights by satellite telemetry.
- Characterizing movement patterns of the Cape Vulture in South Africa using satellite telemetry.
- Evaluating survivorship of rehabilitated owls with ocular damage.
- Charting the migratory route of Maine Ospreys.
Surveys and Population Monitoring
Below is a selection of some representative raptor survey and monitoring research projects:
- Characterizing the diurnal and nocturnal raptor migration at Monhegan Island, Maine.
- Evaluating Osprey Nest Abundance, Distribution and Productivity in Casco Bay.
- Quantifying the use of New England's premier fish run by Bald Eagles.
- Monitoring the migration of Northern Saw-whet Owls along the Maine coast.
- Evaluating genetic relationships between Bald Eagles in Maine, New York, and Alaska.
- Inventory of resident woodland raptors in Acadia National Park, Maine.
- Establishing a monitoring program for American Kestrels in Southern Maine.
- Preliminary health and contaminant assessments of vultures in South Africa.
- The southernmost breeding Ospreys: a survey of Ospreys nesting in Belize.